Wednesday, August 7, 2013

August 8-9

Dear Parents and Students,

Welcome to a fabulous new school year at Discovery School!  We will be having so much fun in our class, while learning from each other everyday. It is exciting to be teaching your children. I cannot wait to begin teaching and hearing your children’s ideas.  My name is Gloria Palacios-Talavera. This will be my twentieth year teaching, and I am starting my tenth year teaching at Discovery School. I have a Masters Degree in Multidisciplinary Studies from the State University of New York and an Expert Degree in Educational and Family Counseling from Colegio Villanueva in Madrid, Spain. I am going to be teaching math for the sixth grade. I am positive this year will be a great learning experience for everyone. 

We will be covering the following content during the school year:

I Quarter
II Quarter
III Quarter
IV Quarter
Numbers, Expressions, Equations
Decimals
Number Theory and Fraction Concepts
Fractions
Ratio, Rates, and Proportions
Percent,
Integers, Rational Numbers
Geometry
Measurement,
Data, Graphs, and Probability
Inequalities, Equations, and Graphs

HOMEWORK

Students will receive a worksheet for homework every day from Monday through Friday. This worksheet needs to be turned in to me at the beginning of the day (HOMEWORK BOX). Homework needs to be kept in the binders all the time.

MAKE UP WORK, ASSESSMENT, & GRADING POLICY

** It is the responsibility of the student to obtain all make up assignments from the teacher and to see that the completed work is submitted within the allotted number of days.
  • If a student is absent for 1 or 2 days, he/she MUST bring an excuse from home in order to be able to make up the missing work.
  • If a student is absent for 3 or more days, he/she MUST bring an excuse from the doctor in order to be able to make up the missing work.
  • If the student brings an appropriate excuse, he/she will have 1 day per day missed to make up his/her work.
  • If the student fails to present his/her work when it is due, he/she will receive no points for the work.

Students will be monitored using a variety of informal and formal assessments. We will be encouraging all students to practice self-evaluation as well.  All assessment is on going.

Tests are given back to the students once they are graded and discussed in class and are then placed in the binders. Corrections are made in the notebook. Tests need to come back to me with your signature.

Grading breakdown:
Homework                                                                                          20 %
Tests                                                                                                    60 %
Class work (notebook, binder, participation, attendance)                  20 %

COMMUNICATION

If you wish to come in and talk to me, please call me to make an appointment or send me an email. 

School phone: 2221-7790 ext. 148
Mobile: 95611434

BLOG AND ENGRADE

My blog will be posted every Monday for you and your child to read. In my blog, you will find the content that will be covered during the week, homework, dates to remember, tests, and any other important information.
You will be able to view my blog by accessing the school’s web page:

You and your child will receive an ENGRADE code so you can log in and monitor your child’s progress in my class and all other classes as well. Grades will be posted once a week. www.engrade.com
If you need assistance with this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

MATERIALS NEEDED:


  • 2 grid notebooks
  • Binder (2 inch – 3 rings)
  • small calculator
  • pencils and pens of different color
  • eraser and sharpener
  • Small protractor
  • Compass
  • Ruler (inches and centimeters)
  • Index cards
AFTER SCHOOL MATH HELP

I am available Mondays-Wednesdays from 3:15 – 4:00 to help students who need additional assistance in my class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment